Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Night Riding

Re: Night Riding

I say make it annual, while it was fun it is tough to get it done, and it gives something to look forward to.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Summer months, FTW! IMO

I loved the ride, just not the cold. Coulda used more layers, but early June through September would be what I'd do. Of course, I don't know that I'd be able to make all of them, but definitely at least one of them. Also opens it up to others who would be busy one month and not another. Most definitely a group moonlight ride is something to partake in.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

+1 for annual.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'd say leave the option of October out there. I have heated gear and the beemah has heated grips! :P
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I'd say leave the option of October out there. I have heated gear and the beemah has heated grips! :P
    We should ride up to the Wondervu Cafe (CO 72 - Coal Creek) for mexican (Buller won't have to bail on their green).

Oct4
    06:11
    Sun

But do it Saturday. 10/3
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Not a big fan of canyon night riding
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    A snowmobile ripping down a trail at night is pretty cool. Sometimes a little eerie Do not care so much about taking canyons at nighton a bike. Not to smart of an idea, to much crap can go wrong, especailly on a two lane.
    There were may be thirty cars going BOTH directions all night. I think there were maybe 10 cars on Trail Ridge when we were up there. We didn't come up on, or have to pass, any cars going up or down Trail Ridge.

Oh, and I didn't see any wildlife on either side of the road in either direction. Not much can go wrong under those conditions.

Night pace < Day pace. Wondervu Cafe.. good idea.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Not a big fan of canyon night riding
    I would not do that ride alone. With all of us staying together tho, it worked and can be done safely. I’m for keeping the Trial Ridge ride an annual event, but interested in other night rides at lower elevation.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    There were may be thirty cars going BOTH directions all night. I think there were maybe 10 cars on Trail Ridge when we were up there. We didn't come up on, or have to pass, any cars going up or down Trail Ridge.

Oh, and I didn't see any wildlife on either side of the road in either direction. Not much can go wrong under those conditions.
    Just don't care for night riding. I'll do it if I have to be somewhere and enjoy the stars and wierd shit while laying in the sleeping bag. Glad you guys enjoy it though.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Have been on some cool ones. Most memorable was a Paul Revere Midnight ride. check it out, sure they have some similar stuff out here.

http://www.mi-gmidnightriders.org/08midnight_ride.htm

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Actually, I was thinking some different destinations would be fun. Just maybe round up a group each full moon. I know I can't make them all but as everyone who went has said it was a cool experience.

Fwiw, I've gone over trail ridge on a Labor day weekend and came home thru 6 inches of snow up top. We're in CO folks snow/ bad weather can happen anywhere/anytime, case in point the ride thru the snow...in Loveland it was 75 deg. and high 60's in Grand Lake, just a touch of weather topside
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Actually, I was thinking some different destinations would be fun. Just maybe round up a group each full moon. I know I can't make them all but as everyone who went has said it was a cool experience.

Fwiw, I've gone over trail ridge on a Labor day weekend and came home thru 6 inches of snow up top. We're in CO folks snow/ bad weather can happen anywhere/anytime, case in point the ride thru the snow...in Loveland it was 75 deg. and high 60's in Grand Lake, just a touch of weather topside
    Oct = probably
    November = maybe
    December - February ----- no way in hell

Two days ago on Berthoud pass, a woman in a car hit a bull moose. Came through her windshield and snapped both her wrists. She was pinned in the car with the bull moving around until someone shot it. Just yesterday while driving home, I was getting on the on ramp to I70 near Morrison and about 1/4 mile out, 10pm. A cow Elk was crossing the road and I did not notice it until about 30ft. away. IT was on the other side, but pretty ironic considering we were ust talking about this. I was about a foot lower than its butt hole. Thats how big it was. Riding at night sucks, its dangerous as hell, and unless you are completely stoned or hammered, while getting spooked out of your mind at the shadows trying to grab you, it's no fun. Even then its kind of crazy. So much crap is unseen at night, it's a larger roll of the dice then riding in a damn traffic jam on I-25 in broad daylight. Unless you have about 2 Baja lights strapped on your bike.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Yep, it's that time of the season when big critters come down from the mountains.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Riding at night sucks, its dangerous as hell, and unless you are completely stoned or hammered, while getting spooked out of your mind at the shadows trying to grab you, it's no fun.
    Odd. I wasn't stoned or hammered and had a blast. I've done quite a bit of riding at night. The VFR with high beams on lights things up very nicely.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Odd. I wasn't stoned or hammered and had a blast. I've done quite a bit of riding at night. The VFR with high beams on lights things up very nicely.

Dirk

I was COMPLETELY hammered...nobody caught me sneaking to the bar throwing back tequila shots...Its the only way I could have ever enjoyed it...

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    I was COMPLETELY hammered...nobody caught me sneaking to the bar throwing back tequila shots...Its the only way I could have ever enjoyed it...
    I tried to have a good time but the hit of four-way blotter didn't kick in until I got home and parked the bike in the garage. It didn't wear off until after the CU shellacking on Sunday night.

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    The VFR with high beams on lights things up very nicely.

Dirk
    Bright lights are a plus. And until mine get brighter or use the aid of some big ass ones, there is not a big urge to go recreational night riding. It just not appealing to ride with the reigns pulled( even though it it is not that much). The constant state of being on guard, constantly looking for shit that would normally be no big deal during the day, is pointless to me. Just to enjoy that "rush" of going 10mph or more slower than the speed limit at night is not appealing, although to others, it may be. Maybe some people get off at the sight of seeing animals on the side of the road at night while being on a bike? Who knows? Less cars- definetly, more foreign shit-totally. Strap 2 baja lights to a helmet and it's fair game. Like I said, I'll cruise the night on a trip where I have to make time, but for recreational riding? Save the miles for when you can actually enjoy what you are looking at, other than the road and the object(s) 10 feet off of it.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Bright lights are a plus. <snip>Just to enjoy that "rush" of going 10mph or more slower than the speed limit at night <snip>Maybe some people get off at the sight of seeing animals on the side of the road at night while being on a bike?

You'd have been disappointed. For the most part we never went slower than the posted speed and I didn't see any animals (well the bat that damn near flew into my helmet in downtown Estes

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    You'd have been disappointed. For the most part we never went slower than the posted speed and I didn't see any animals (well the bat that damn near flew into my helmet in downtown Estes
    Just not my thing- Recreational night riding

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Just not my thing- Recreational night riding
    /cool

Would love to join you guys if you go at the beginning of Oct.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Riding at night sucks, its dangerous as hell, and unless you are completely stoned or hammered, while getting spooked out of your mind at the shadows trying to grab you, it's no fun. Even then its kind of crazy. So much crap is unseen at night, it's a larger roll of the dice then riding in a damn traffic jam on I-25 in broad daylight. Unless you have about 2 Baja lights strapped on your bike.
    Your opinion, shared by some but not really anyone in this thread. By all means don't bother coming on any of the rides. Wildlife is a constant hazard, risk management, as with all other facets of motorcycling.
    As I stated before, a night ride (moon or no moon) on a dirt bike, is one of the most intense rushes you can have, and fun doesn't even start to describe it. You just need to get your mind right, and don't be day(night) dreaming