Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: *** The Photography Thread ***

Re: *** The Photography Thread ***

Anyone take pictures today at HPR?

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Some sample pictures from my "formal" Steampunk shoot - these are very divergent from what I normally produce - but I wanted to give a little something different a try for this shoot in particular:

...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Some sample pictures from my "formal" Steampunk shoot - these are very divergent from what I normally produce - but I wanted to give a little something different a try for this shoot in particular:
    Huge fan of your work, and this is no exception. Even surfed your company website earlier this Summer and gathered many pics for my screensaver. Thanks for sharing, keep it up!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Huge fan of your work, and this is no exception. Even surfed your company website earlier this Summer and gathered many pics for my screensaver. Thanks for sharing, keep it up!
    Thank you so much sir! I'm honored.... confused but honored!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Thank you so much sir! I'm honored.... confused but honored!
    I'm confused on why you're confused, lol. I meant on your Vancelvanian Design website portfolio, the Portraiture and Nature galleries especially nice. <Rt-click & Save> Added lots of those to my laptop screensaver.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I'm confused on why you're confused, lol. I meant on your Vancelvanian Design website portfolio, the Portraiture and Nature galleries especially nice. <Rt-click & Save> Added lots of those to my laptop screensaver.
    My confusion is in that I for some reason had thought the rt-click was not enabled, but no worries.

If you want any high resolution version of anything - let me know!

I see. I just tried now and rt-click is still allowed. I actually grabbed most pics right from this thread, not your site. No worries, just for my own PC, not to use or upload anywhere.

How did you get a motorcycle down into the Milk basement/bar? Is there a ground-level door or ramp?

Ok, guys don’t flame me because I know nothing about photography, but just wanted a nice point and shoot camera without the bulk of a DSLR that I could put in my pocket. After research seemed like the best one for picture quality was the Nikon Power Shots. Picked up a used Cannon Powershot S90 from a buddy for $200 who was ready to upgrade. So far I am very impressed with the picture quality for a non-DSLR. I was a bit confused because it was only a 10MP, and the point and shoot Fuji I had that broke was a 14MP, but way cheaper. Well the picture quality is way better on this 10MP, so guess MP is not what it is all about.

One cool thing about it is it does have a manual mode; Around the lens is a Control Ring that can be assigned to handle changes to aperture, shutter speed, focus, zoom, white balance, exposure compensation, or ISO. I figured this would be a good introduction into getting me use to it before I spend more money on larger DSLR. I’ll have to post some pics and see what you guys think; of course I don’t expect it to compare with your guys fancy setups, but everyone has to start somewhere and the $200 price tag and size was what I want first before going to that.

Ruined my waterproof camera; somehow battery door opened underwater and ruined it. Still no idea how that thing opened but we were in underground water caves in Mexico. Was hopefull and let it dry for a week, but won’t turn on

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-s90/4505-6501_7-33765880.html

P.S. Wicky was too snobby with his expensive camera to help me out as this was just a point and shoot and soooo below his level.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Aug 9th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I haven't bought a P&S in awhile, but when I did, I tried Sony, Samsung, and Canon PowerShot Elph. BY FAR my favorite best-quality pics came from the Elph, even though it was the oldest and lowest megapixel! Very weird, but I LOVED that Elph, I imagine todays are even better. The newer Nikon pockets seem to be real good too, but never owned one.

POST UP SOME PICS! No criticism, I still can't seem to get super-high quality photos out of my Rebel 2Ti like I see the pros post up here. Need a lot more practice, especially with my new Macro lens...

I haven't bought a P&S in awhile, but when I did, I tried Sony, Samsung, and Canon PowerShot Elph. BY FAR my favorite best-quality pics came from the Elph, even though it was the oldest and lowest megapixel! Very weird, but I LOVED that Elph, I imagine todays are even better. The newer Nikon pockets seem to be real good too, but never owned one.

POST UP SOME PICS! No criticism, I still can't seem to get super-high quality photos out of my Rebel 2Ti like I see the pros post up here. Need a lot more practice, especially with my new Macro lens...
    Just random shot on auto:

Yeah I have not a lot of insight on the P&S type cameras but I can tell you the spousal unit LOVES the Olympus "Tough" series one I bought her about 2 years ago. Great resolution, waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof... basically perfect for her to carry in her purse and not worry about it getting fraked up.

Yep - that's the extent of my insight into that entire line of cameras unfortunately.

Yeah I have not a lot of insight on the P&S type cameras but I can tell you the spousal unit LOVES the Olympus "Tough" series one I bought her about 2 years ago. Great resolution, waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof... basically perfect for her to carry in her purse and not worry about it getting fraked up.

Yep - that's the extent of my insight into that entire line of cameras unfortunately.
    I have one of the Olympus Tough point and shoot cameras as well. I've been happy and impressed with it. I planning on getting a DSLR one of these days, but haven't narrowed down what yet.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

I actually bought that for my GF, so that is our secondary camera. Picture quality is not as good as the Cannon though and we have actually been disapounted on some of the pictures we took. Tough may be a older model though

This was shot with the Olympus Tough (At Xplor in Cancun, Mexico)

I can see a huge difference in picture quality over the Canon.

This lady at work is selling her Cannon D40 that she bought last year and used a couple times. The 55-200 lense doesn't work properly though but the 18-55 that came with it is all good. Anyone know of a good place that could check this camera out for me to see what it needs and all before I pull the trigger?

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Aaron Hersh @ MRA#5 PMP

(c) SpeedShots Photography
    Dem rims looking good, Powder coated by me .

Yes Nate, it's not all about the pixel count. It's the size / type of sensor and the glass that makes the most difference. The new P&S cameras are pretty good, once you move past the $200 price point. I picked up a Nikon P310 recently for on-the-bike shooting, so if rocks hit it or I drop it I'm not out an expensive SLR. So far I'm impressed.

At full frame I can see some image degradation and loss of clarity compared to my D7000, but for quick shots and carrying around in a pocket, it can't be beat.
    Last edited by asp_125; Fri Aug 10th, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"

Perseid says high from the top of Mount Evans. Very early this morning, August 12, 2012...

Wow, very cool! Can you reveal your equipment, exposure settings, etc.? Looks like the sky was so clear too.

Cool photo. Did you ride up during the night?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Cool photo. Did you ride up during the night?
    Yup. Left Denver around 9:00pm, arrived at the summit parking lot around 10:40pm. I'll be honest... that summit road is the scariest frickin' thing to drive in the middle of the night!!! Talk about white-knuckles!!

Wow, very cool! Can you reveal your equipment, exposure settings, etc.? Looks like the sky was so clear too.
    I got lucky with the time and sky. I had intended to arrive around 1am, since that's when the clear sky charts indicated the sky would have the least amount of clouds/haze. But I figured there could be a lot of astrophotographers up there, and since I didn't want to be the jerk driving up with high-beams during some one's 60-minute exposure, I left early. Good thing too - because by 1am the sky was covered with haze, and I bailed.

But to answer your question, this was a bit of an experimental shoot. I'm kind of a fiend for long-exposure star-trails, just because the high-ISO/short-exposures required to "freeze" the stars can be pretty noisy. So I slapped the 5D3 on my tripod, and after a little trial and error realized I was getting decent exposures at ISO 6400. I kept all of my exposures maxed out at 30-seconds, just because that's about as long as you can go at 17mm before you start to see some star-blur (mini-trails) from the earth's rotation.

From a large-print perspective, the 6400 leaves a little to be desired, even after some heavy NR in post. Also, I was limited by my 17-40 f4/L lens. If I were to do this again, I'd rent an ultra-wide f/2.8 so I could save a few stops in ISO, and have a cleaner image. Since I'm OCD about my print quality, I think I'll limit my astro-images to ISO 4000 on the 5D3 from here on out.

Oh, lastly... the red light on the walls is from a gelled speedlite I brought with me. The tungsten colored light (towards the top of the wall) is from the headlights of a truck that pulled into the lot during my exposure. It just happened to all work out.

I hope its not a double post. I don't remember if I uploaded this one here already...
    In the image is working temple tho in Mathura, India. Shoot during my trip there last March. I had gone inside and shot there as well, but lost the images.

CANON FANBOIS - YOUR HIGH MP WAIT MAY BE OVER!!!!!!!

The Canon rumor-mill has gone into overdrive the lat 24 hours, and hype surrounding a "high MP" full frame Canon body is at an all time high. With Photokina around the corner, the rumors on a possible 46MP full frame body are now coming out with more details. A possible spec list has been leaked, and it's looking to be the following:

Canon 3DX Specs?
    • 46 MP
    • 3.7 frame per second
    • Dual DIGIC 5+
    • ISO: (25) 50-6400 (12800)
    • AF: Same as 1DX
    • USB 3
    • CF+SD
    • “Another feature mentioned about the camera is better heat dissipation of the sensor compared to other EOS cameras. Apparently, this results in industry leading low ISO performance.”

That leading low ISO performance has me quivering with glee!!! So those who were bummed by the d800, be glad you waited 4 months. This looks to be an incredible offering from Canon, on par with some medium-format digital backs (should the rumors pan out).

Hold tight Canon kids... with a 6D entry level FF body and this new MP beat, this could be a fantastic fall for us!!!

more - http://fstoppers.com/latest-canon-ru...und-the-corner

Admittedly, such a body has almost no practical application in general shooting, portrait, event and wedding photography. But for those who dabble in commercial work, or large-print landscapes... this could be a fun toy!!!

Some pics from Lake Granby this last weekend