Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna cork screw

Laguna cork screw

Anyone on the CSC rode Laguna Seca? What is the cork screw like? It looks sick on TV. How many feet of elevation change?

I hope the new High plains track is something like it.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Laguna cork screw

3 story drop?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Last year at the annual picnic me and Leo (slowster) happened to be talking about Laguna Seca and how badass that corkscrew must be. Heard from another member that he rode there, I was thinking it was more like 60'-80' maybe...I couldn't tell you. But the other guy mentioned it was more like 1000?

I think it's more like a 7 story drop.

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

They say that from the top of the corkscrew to the bottom where it flattens out (after T10) is the equivalent of a 10 story drop. After walking it, I believe it as well

I haven't ridden it on two wheels, but have driven that circuit in its old configuration (pre 2000). The actual corkscrew itself, turns 8 and 8a, is commonly accepted to drop around 300ft. It's waaaay fun, You race up the hill to a braking zone looking at nothing but sky. Then a blind entry and apex (use your brake markers), then the world drops away from you and you have to set up for the right while unweighted.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

it will put your stomach in your mouth, even at slow speeds
    04 RC51

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I haven't ridden it on two wheels, but have driven that circuit in its old configuration (pre 2000). The actual corkscrew itself, turns 8 and 8a, is commonly accepted to drop around 300ft. It's waaaay fun, You race up the hill to a braking zone looking at nothing but sky. Then a blind entry and apex (use your brake markers), then the world drops away from you and you have to set up for the right while unweighted.
    Yeah, what he said. I have done it in a car not a bike. Also, they have straightened out the entrance to it a bit. The turn is a left at the top, right in the middle, 'nother left. From the left at the entrance you cannot see the curbing of the right hander. You come through the left at the top, everything unweights, and you drop down a 2-3 bike length hole into the right hander. After that, you just point towards the next left and hope the suspension doesn't bounce you around. You just have to find your markers and make sure you hit them. By the time you can see the inside right hander it is too late to adjust anything.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Well, while I've walked that area outside the fencing many times I haven't ridden it or driven it, and TOTALLY regret not doing the Keith Code school that was always scheduled the day after the USGP back in the late '80's-early '90's. Anyways, I think you mean the elevation drop in the first 2 turns, not from the top down to Rainey corner. In these 2 turns it probably drops 60+ feet from the top left-hander to the bottom right-hander. It's pretty impressive just looking up from the bottom, and I can only imagine it on a bike, or worse, and Indy car with a long nose and low in the car. I'm sure in the Indy car all you can see is your front wing!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

i have driven it. the corkscrew is kinda easy in a car. bike would be much differnt.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I heard it was 1000 feet.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

the old config was kinda cool, but to be honest the 'talk' about how big the drop is isnt that bad, first time i went through i had convinced myself i was going to get airborne but as soon as you find a turn in point it's not that bad. Sure it's cool but the stigma of it far outweighs the reality of it.

I think the HPR corkscrew will be closer to the 'mormon corkscrew' than Laguna, maybe somewhere inbetween
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I heard it was 1000 feet.

Dirk

I had heard the same thing from somewhere...
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

AKA "Devaclis"

I have read on 3 different sites that the drop is 3 stories. Google it. The distance from entry to exit may vary a bit based on where you measure from (inside/outside)
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Did my first trackday there and had a hard time with the Corkscrew. As mentioned, you need to find a solid turn-in point because the entrance is blind. I didn't find a good reference point and so I kept turning in too early, causing me to have to make multiple corrections to avoid the inside curbing. Definitely an interesting turn....
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

from what i can find on the web, laguna seca's drop is a little over 200' ....the one planned for high plains is 70'.....
    drop a gear and disappear....

Asshat Racing:Mra #228
    2002 r6 street,akrapovic slip-on,flush mounts,Ohlins steering dampener
    2000 r6 race (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    from what i can find on the web, laguna seca's drop is a little over 200' ....the one planned for high plains is 70'.....

Certainly nowhere near 1/5th of a mile then, as previously thought.
    Chris

There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
    Certainly nowhere near 1/5th of a mile then, as previously thought.

Who the hell thought it was a 1/5 th of a mile drop? you are talking around a 1000 feet of elevation change. Hell you might have to re jet a carbed bike at the bottom of the cork screw if that was true
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Matty, you want to chime in?

You'll need a parachute.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    Did my first trackday there and had a hard time with the Corkscrew. As mentioned, you need to find a solid turn-in point because the entrance is blind. I didn't find a good reference point and so I kept turning in too early, causing me to have to make multiple corrections to avoid the inside curbing. Definitely an interesting turn....
    +1 to this. My first track day was also here, and just like Paul said, it's definitely a situation where I think it's easy to find yourself wanting to turn in very early, since it's blind and you see no helpful curbing till you're "pointed down" and rather commited. Once you learn to carry out the left hand approach turn a little bit farther, you can throw yourself right down the fall-line though, and it becomes fun as hell.

Enjoy.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Well, I rode it with CA Superbike school in 2003. Scared me shitless since I was only 5 months out from my MSF certificate here There was a tree directly across that I was told I could use as my reference point, but routinely gave up looking for as I was just looking down mostly, rather than across. It is a given drop that you have to be ready to go in full on left, then in the middle, be able to fling halfway down to the right and turn.

You gonna go ride it Applesauce? You should love it!
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    Who the hell thought it was a 1/5 th of a mile drop? you are talking around a 1000 feet of elevation change. Hell you might have to re jet a carbed bike at the bottom of the cork screw if that was true

Chris

I've rode @ laguna, Imagine your brain being forced to the top of your head, that weightless feeling in your stomach, & your eyes trying to focus all while keeping your lean angle throttle position, and all at race pace. It is very fun after you get about 10-15 practice laps on it. If you cant be there play the PS2 game tourist trophy it's close @ least to how the suspension acts there, and tire grip. Take one of the superbike schools there, & you'll be hooked mann!
    *HOLD MY BEER, WATCH THIS!*
    "The faster you go the prettier the girls get." -Nicky Hayden

www.395RACING.com