Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually ride at The Pace?

Does anyone actually ride at The Pace?

I've been riding at The Pace since I read the article back in 91. Prior to that, we hauled ass down the straight, crawled through the corner, and hauled ass down the next straight. We thought that's what "slow in, fast out" meant. I was familiar with Ienatsch, and his skill level, and figured if it was his way I should check it out.

I love riding at The Pace, mainly because I get to have fun in the corners without risking a big ticket in the straights. I love to snap the bike in and out of corners. I love the feeling of seeing the 15 mph corner sign before a set of curves and accelerating into them. I lost most of my riding buddies due to my new style. They didn't buy sportbikes so they could pace themselves.

When I first found CSC, I was really psyched that The Pace article was on the website. I hadn't read it in forever, and was excited to find people who rode with the same philosophy.

Unfortunately, I don't hear much about it. I read lots of stories about hauling ass and getting tickets. I read about people going on a "spirited ride" and then see the pics they took that reveal what spirited means to them. An inch of strip on either side of the rear tire tells the story. I know they are riding in the exact opposite of the way I want to ride.

Or are lots of you riding at The Pace, and I just don't hear about it because riding in this fashion tends to be uneventful? I haven't had a ticket on a bike in 19 years, and haven't had a "moment" in a corner in a long, long time.

Are there others riding at The Pace who, like me, don't have much to say about their ride other than that they had a blast?

Please note, I am not trying to tell anyone how to ride, just asking some questions. I am no saint, and have done my share of hooligan antics.

Re: Does anyone actually ride at The Pace?

LOL my last ticket was while going through a corner.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

I'm not certain, but I think there are small-ish groups (cliques?) of people who know each other, are comfortable riding with each other, and ride in a similar fashion as described in The Pace. I think perhaps they just don't advertise their rides publicly. So I guess the only way to find a group like that would be to post up, similarly to what you have done, looking for others who ride The Pace.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

AKA "Devaclis"

Yes, I ride The Pace
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Yes, I ride The Pace

But isn't that only because your bike tops out at 60mph.

Chris Titus

i love The Pace, but there are times I am a bit more "spirited" than the pace......but my "spirited" does not involve leaving chicken strips.......spirited in a straight stretch is a bit of a YAWN.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    LOL my last ticket was while going through a corner.
    That sucks, man. I hope you were having fun while it happened. I figure if I get one in a corner, it's much more worth it than getting nailed just going down the highway or something boring like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I'm not certain, but I think there are small-ish groups (cliques?) of people who know each other, are comfortable riding with each other, and ride in a similar fashion as described in The Pace. I think perhaps they just don't advertise their rides publicly. So I guess the only way to find a group like that would be to post up, similarly to what you have done, looking for others who ride The Pace.
    I think you probably nailed it, Wallcrawler.

actually tipys and myself shared in the in-corner ticket experience......cops got us both at the same time. his was 23 over and mine was 26 over, but it was fun
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    i love The Pace, but there are times I am a bit more "spirited" than the pace......but my "spirited" does not involve leaving chicken strips.......spirited in a straight stretch is a bit of a YAWN.
    Sounds like you are talking about spirited in the corners, using your whole tire, and taking it easier on the straights. Sounds like The Pace, to me.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

The Pace is a great read, and I certainly ride in a similar fashion.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    But isn't that only because your bike tops out at 60mph.
    Before I had it geared it would pass 100. It now hits 90 comfortably.

BTW: The Pace is not about top speed. I can comfortably and quickly run most of the front range canyons with no brakes, taking great lines and having a blast.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by BHeth View Post
    Sounds like you are talking about spirited in the corners, using your whole tire, and taking it easier on the straights. Sounds like The Pace, to me.
    by spirited i mean that there have been times i have run a little wide of my intended line or had to trim speed off, whereas riding the pace you shouldnt have to do either of those.
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Before I had it geared it would pass 100. It now hits 90 comfortably.

BTW: The Pace is not about top speed. I can comfortably and quickly run most of the front range canyons with no brakes, taking great lines and having a blast.

Oh i know my point was more along the lines of you cant go fast in the streights if your top speed is only 60. It was a lame joke.

Chris Titus

AKA "Devaclis"

60 isn't fast?

^^^^ That was kinda my point.

Chris Titus

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

+1

I could spend a good 30 minutes writing a paper on why I will not ride in large groups - but suffice to say that I'm much more comfortable in a 6-person group of other riders that I know and trust - and I will often Pace the ride if I'm out in front. It keeps my own riding in check, is a ton of fun, and also helps to keep my group together.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

I ride the Pace... a fast pace. I don't WOT out of corners only to slam on the brakes at the next. In fact going up & down 7 I hardly use the brakes anymore, just pick the right gears. You're so much easier on equipment riding the Pace. It's more fun picking the right entry speed and maintaining a flow through a set of corners, progressively squeezing the throttle on exits than it is about all out speed.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

It is much more fun riding this way, though I do hang off the bike sometimes for fun...

I have ridden with countless others that don't, they prefer fast straights and braking into corners...it gets annoying
    Last edited by eg bter; Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I rode the pace to UT last weekend. It does vary depending on the conditions.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

the pace also varies depending on the person too. im sure rossi's "pace" would make me look like i am standing still. i think its really more about smooth in, smooth through, and smooth out.
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    the pace also varies depending on the person too. im sure rossi's "pace" would make me look like i am standing still. i think its really more about smooth in, smooth through, and smooth out.
    Absolutely, "The Pace" doesn't set what speed you are supposed to ride at. It's a guideline on being smooth and not creating an accordion effect in a group; which really decreases the enjoyment of a ride. The reason that happens in bigger groups is that invariably someone's pace isn't in synch with the rest of the group, and you get bunching up or gapping. That messes up riders as they try to pass, or catch up, or over ride their ability.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

BHeth, if its a challenge you are looking for you can try keeping up with me. Ha, jk. But most of us that ride the Pace^2 keep it to small groups less than 5 or 6. Try to join a small group in the Canyon Carving section during the week. That's when those of us get more 'spirited' due to less traffic/ bicycles/ distractions.