Thread: Pants for long distance riding.

Pants for long distance riding.

I'm looking for a pair of pants for longer distance riding, and I can't decide. While I want something that's comfortable for long days, I also want something I can use for something other than "touring". I'm all over the place on what I want, but what I don't want to do is spend more than 300 dollars.

While I would like leather, seemingly all the touring style pants are always in textile.

Anyways, I'm pretty much down to either the Revit Sand pants, or the alpinestars track pants, the alpinestars mainly because I found a great deal on them, and they are leather, but more of a canyon/track pant, the revit sand pants are a textile touring pant. I've also run across the speed and strength hell and back pants.

Anyways, I'm open to any ideas, or thoughts on any of this gear, I've never been touring but yeah, your thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Pants for long distance riding.

You can long distance in anything. I have ridden in leathers and textile. Textile gives you more practicality with pockets and some rain resistance. Textile feels (IMO) more comfy as they are cut roomier. In the heat of summer I prefer Carhartts over ballistic nylon though, just from a ride all day comfort viewpoint.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Not one of your given options, but I wear a pair of Kevlar reinforced Icon Jeans over armor for non track duty, very comfortable all day long. They can be found WELL below your price limit and you end up with armor that can be used otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Not one of your given options, but I wear a pair of Kevlar reinforced Icon Jeans over armor for non track duty, very comfortable all day long. They can be found WELL below your price limit and you end up with armor that can be used otherwise.
    What armor you wear?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

If you are comfortable in leather pants, get them. Then if it starts raining or is chilly, buy a pair of large rain pants. I got a pair of rain pants from Dicks Sporting Goods for $10 and wore them over my leather pants or khaki's on chilly mornings.

Personally I like textile. Some of it has good padding and holds up well in a crash. My .02

chaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    ...and wore them over my leather pants...

And by "leather pants", he means "assless chaps."
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
    And by "leather pants", he means "assless chaps."
    Why fight it, when it looks so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    What armor you wear?
    Six Six One Knee/Shin guards. I'll be getting some shorts to protect the ol' birthing hips soon.

Are there such a thing as non-assless chaps? Where's Will when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    I'm looking for a pair of pants for longer distance riding, and I can't decide. While I want something that's comfortable for long days, I also want something I can use for something other than "touring". I'm all over the place on what I want, but what I don't want to do is spend more than 300 dollars.

While I would like leather, seemingly all the touring style pants are always in textile.

Anyways, I'm pretty much down to either the Revit Sand pants, or the alpinestars track pants, the alpinestars mainly because I found a great deal on them, and they are leather, but more of a canyon/track pant, the revit sand pants are a textile touring pant. I've also run across the speed and strength hell and back pants.

Anyways, I'm open to any ideas, or thoughts on any of this gear, I've never been touring but yeah, your thoughts are appreciated.
    What do you consider long distance riding? Reason I ask is that one person's long distance ride is another's lunch stop...

Anyways, it's all about personal preference here. For me; leather pants w/ a quality set of rain gear on the bike pretty much takes care of everything you could encounter.

Also, avoid loose fitting clothing that can bunch up and cause irritation.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    What do you consider long distance riding? Reason I ask is that one person's long distance ride is another's lunch stop...

Anyways, it's all about personal preference here. For me; leather pants w/ a quality set of rain gear on the bike pretty much takes care of everything you could encounter.

Also, avoid loose fitting clothing that can bunch up and cause irritation.
    Down to Florida, up to New York, and back to CO.

I have a set of kevlar riding jeans, and my origional plan was to get knee armor to complement it, but then I saw pants, and well who doesn't like new stuff.... Also I want more protection than riding jeans.... I already bought a rain suit in preparation so I should be good to go for rain.

Just bought A-Stars A10 pant ($280 from Performance). They are leather/textile and a lot more comfy than my track pants. I like them!

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/pro...id=332607&cs=1
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I think the seat is more important than the pants, personally. I changed mine over the factory gel right after I got my bike. I wear Icon Recon jeans, they are super comfy and they don't get too hot.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Why are we having this conversation in the first place???

Real riders with BALLZZ wear shorts and flip-flops.......and nothin else!!!!!!
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Why fight it, when it looks so good?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I have a set of Joe Rocket Pheonix mesh pants (like N_N's I think) I wear in the summer. I like 'em a lot. They're not the protection of leather, but they're fairly thick nylon, with padding in the knees and hips, and I like the full outer leg zippers. They were about $125 form Chapparral.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

pant-less cheek chillers!

I have a pair of Firstgear Escape pants on the way that I'm going to sell, brand new. Not sure if thats what your looking for though.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Just curious, what is wrong with textile with armor?

Personally, I have 3 diff levels. My leathers for the track or balls out riding, textile with armor for most of the canyon riding and touring, then jeans for the easy riding around town.

The textile pants are comfy, usually have removable liners, venting for hot days, water proof/resistance for rainy. And I usually wear shorts under my textile pants. Just my .02.

I love my MotoGP pants.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR