Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AWD Car Opinions???

Re: AWD Car Opinions???

I love my G35x.
    Did you sell your G37x?

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    The WRX's are for kids under 20 years old.

I'm selling my 04 forester xt turbo 5 speed with some small mods (cobb tuner and 3" turbo back). Here is a link to the craigs ad

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2988330712.html

The SHO is AWD, can get it in a Lincoln version too. Also Ford Fusion comes AWD, not a bad somewhat sporty 4-door vehicle. The SHO (I test drove one) was F'ing fast. No turbo lag what so ever.

I say get an F350 and be like some of my neighbors that use it to get groceries...LOL

Seriously take a look at the SHO, just realize it comes with summer tires...so tires will be on your shopping list even though it is AWD.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I have a Toyota RAV4 Sport AWD V6. 270hp, 0-60 in 6.4, with the factory towing package I have I can tow 3,500lbs, and it'd easily fit 4 large cavemen like myself in it and still get 22-25mpg. TONS of room inside, and does well in the snow.

The only issue I have is there isn't enough "Sport" in the brakes, but it handles very well for a big box, especially with the new Yoko's I put on it.

Unless you have to get all uppity and go with overpriced German stuff, that's what I'd get.

Sorry to hear about your car.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

The WRX's are for kids under 20 years old. STi's are for rich kids under 20 years old. The rest of the subaru brand is for lesbians and hippies.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I have a Toyota RAV4 Sport AWD V6. 270hp, 0-60 in 6.4, with the factory towing package I have I can tow 3,500lbs, and it'd easily fit 4 large cavemen like myself in it and still get 22-25mpg. TONS of room inside, and does well in the snow.

The only issue I have is there isn't enough "Sport" in the brakes, but it handles very well for a big box, especially with the new Yoko's I put on it.

Unless you have to get all uppity and go with overpriced German stuff, that's what I'd get.

Sorry to hear about your car.

I've driven a 2011 RAV4 Sport - they're pretty nice and relatively quick for what they are, and are surprisingly roomy. But the driver seating position leaves much to be desired, and the fact that traction control turns itself back on over 20mph or so makes it not a lot of fun to drive in the snow.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Saw a new SHO yesterday, in Shelby blue with the white racing stripes = badassery!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

glad your ok! tons to choose from, i like the truck/bike option because when im not on the bike its bad enough weather to take the truck. plus its a little cheaper on the insurance train... my 02

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
    I've driven a 2011 RAV4 Sport - they're pretty nice and relatively quick for what they are, and are surprisingly roomy. But the driver seating position leaves much to be desired, and the fact that traction control turns itself back on over 20mph or so makes it not a lot of fun to drive in the snow.
    I agree the seats could be better, but I'd drive over 500miles/day in it and it'd be ok. I love mine, best vehicle I ever owned. If I could, my wishes would be available REAL limited slip axles, better brakes, nicer seats and interior. Otherwise, nada.

I turned the TC and stability control completely off, and was romping around doing donuts, and it didn't come back on. Maybe you have to turn the stability control off too? Did you know how?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I have a 2011 WRX and like it for the most part. Comfortable, handles great and lots of power but I don't like the 25mpg on premium fuel no less.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Obviously, I'm going to talk up Subaru. The newer WRX/STI are not for kids. They're more grown-up than previous iterations but you're going to have a hell of a time finding one.

The Legacy 3.6R is what I would recommend for you. It is a classy, powerful, well-handling vehicle, that's comfortable to boot.

I've got an Infiniti G35x as the DD because my WRX is too aggressive to be a comfortable winter car. I honestly like it more than I expected and wouldn't blame you if you went with a G37x. It doesn't handle as well as my Subie in snow but does well enough.

If you're considering an Audi, I would recommend leasing.

If you are looking for a hookup, let me know. I sell Subarus and my company has quite a few other makes - I can hook you up with a rep who won't try to make you pay MSRP.

All that said, the new Kias and Hyundais are worlds past what they were even 5 years ago and worth a look.

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

I love my G35x. I went through the same dilemma as you. I wanted a car, AWD, somewhat sporty.

The WRX's are for kids under 20 years old. STi's are for rich kids under 20 years old. The rest of the subaru brand is for lesbians and hippies.

Audi's / BMW's / Mercedes / Lexus are too costly to maintain. Nobody else really makes an AWD car.

Back to my point. The infiniti KILLS the snow, very cheap maintenance (Japanese), and they have a good price point.

Good luck in your search.

/thread. lol
    Their warranty is awesome too 4 yrs/60k. I mean we warranty just about everything, it's crazy. Infiniti takes care of the customers very well and sometimes overly lol... cars are very well built and you are right cost of benefit is tremendous compared to other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Good option...thanks! I'll go by your dealership if I decide with Infinity. My stepmom works at a Nissan dealership in Albuquerque, so she may be able to get me a deal on a Nissan, but doubt that goes to Infinity right? (Since Nissan is Infinity related)

I really like the 2012 370Z, but I think they may suck in snow. Rear wheel drive....
    I had a 2009 370z for two years. Cool car but I only liked driving it in nice weather. Its too pretty to get dirty, and just not designed to play in the snow. Not saying you can't but that's not what its for. When the weather is nice I prefer to take the R6 or Monster out so the 370z was not used much. About 14k miles in two years. When I wrecked my crappy truck I opted to trade the Z for a Nissan Frontier so I could haul the R6 to the track and not have to worry about winter driving conditions. So far its been a good decision for me.

Next time I buy a sports car, it's going to be used, cheap and then modded to all hell by me. I'm thinking Evo8 or 9 with 500+ hp should be about right. That's a ways down the road though. There's probably two or three bikes in my future first.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Good option...thanks! I'll go by your dealership if I decide with Infinity. My stepmom works at a Nissan dealership in Albuquerque, so she may be able to get me a deal on a Nissan, but doubt that goes to Infinity right? (Since Nissan is Infinity related)

I really like the 2012 370Z, but I think they may suck in snow. Rear wheel drive....
    Lmk bro, I'll let you look at some of the G's you find interesting and check em out with calm before dealing with a sales person if you choose to go with the car. We also have the G37x in a coupe so you can still have the sport feel while kicking ass in snow.

I've owned two WRX's and an Audi S6(ur)

I personally think that they all have their benefits.

WRX/STI - Fun as hell for cheap. You can make them into whatever you want them to be. Awdpirates.com has tons of information and support.

Audi - I loved my Audi

VW R32 or the new R20 - I would take an R20 over anything right now. Small and fun

Mini Countryman - I think they are badass

Mitsu Evo - I'd go with an 8 or 9 but my friend caved into a new evo 10 and loves it endlessley
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Senior Member Moderator

I love my '04 A4 Quattro.

My only complaint is the wimpy, tiptronic, auto transmission. There are a ton of mods for the 1.8t but you can't use most of them because too much power will fry the transmission. It's my wife's daily driver and she refuses to drive a standard so...

If you are looking for a used AWD, don't count the A4 out. Get a manual transmission and go bolt on an APR stage III and smoke EVOs and STIs.

I drive an A6 3.2 quattro, and would have to recommend against it. I like everything about the car but the transmission and the engine (power). Transmission, (auto only is US) has slow shifts and weird shift points. For as heavy a car as it is, the 3.2 is not really great at this altitude. Was fine when I lived at sea level, but up here, lacks power befitting it's status as a 'luxury' car. If you can get a deal on an A6 4.2 or the 3.0T, I would recommend them. Or just screw it and get the good engine with a proper transmission and go with a new S4.

Always got Volvo too...I believe the new S60 is AWD...very nice car too.

Good options being presented. Though none of them mean anything w/o a price point. If you plan on paying it off in 2yrs (iirc), then I doubt you'll be looking at anything Euro.

Albeit trucks aren't as 'fun', they are the best all-around option. The 1/2 ton and up would be overkill (read: gas).

Isn't GM putting out some decent looking cars (for once), with AWD options?
    Suzuki Kizashi? Both models are AWD. One with turbo, one without.

Personally, I can't see spending over 25k on something that depreciates so quickly...
    _________
    09 zx6r
    Nate

Gold Member

Couldnt disagree on your assessment of trucks. I find it pointless to own a truck that can barley hold the weight of one bike. If you drive normal with your big truck fuel wont be so bad. Sure its not a civic but if you need to help a friend move a real trailer you can do it. I wont ever own another truck under a 2500 unless its a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Couldnt disagree on your assessment of trucks. I find it pointless to own a truck that can barley hold the weight of one bike. If you drive normal with your big truck fuel wont be so bad. Sure its not a civic but if you need to help a friend move a real trailer you can do it. I wont ever own another truck under a 2500 unless its a toy.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettodsm View Post
    I'm selling my 04 forester xt turbo 5 speed with some small mods (cobb tuner and 3" turbo back). Here is a link to the craigs ad

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2988330712.html
    Heh, I had that car's twin--with slightly more mods (and no roof rack/rails).
    Then the Southlands tornado came through and totaled it. Sad day.

GLWS, I loved my Fozzie when I had it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

R32 ftw, I've owned a wrx and a modded vr6 jetta that believe me, was driven hard. Both were reliable cars but mechanically the vr6 was a solid engine, throw that in an awd golf and it's a blast. I drove (and I mean drove) an 06 recently and despite having a little less "go" than a wrx everything else was solid and it picked up everywhere the wrx lags...ergonomics, style, comfort...etc
    1979 Cessna 172N
    1986 Corvette
    1994 Honda CBR F2